Sports and Games Specialist (seasonal)
This position is responsible to further the mission of camp through assisting in the development and delivery of non-competitive sports and games and archery skills that are safe, fun, and appropriate to campers’ ages and abilities, and ensuring safety and wellbeing of campers following State, ACA, and Safety Activity Check Point Standards. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit.
- Works with the camp administration and camp to coordinate sports and games and archery programs; works cooperatively to enrich all-camp and sports programs and to facilitate general camp operations.
- Provide orientation at pre-camp training to camp staff with regard to the program goals and availability.
- Encourages girl-planning in the carrying out of programs, with an emphasis on age-appropriate and skill-appropriate sports activities.
- Creates curriculum for archery and sports and games that relate to the themes of camp with an emphasis on age and skill-appropriate, non-competitive sports, archery, games, and health living activities.
- Participates in mandated pre-camp training and attends all scheduled advisory meetings.
- Provides workshops on archery for campers (4th grade and up).
- Reports supply inventory at the end of the summer to the Camp Director.
- Coordinates with the Program Director and unit staff for the sports schedule of activities.
- Maintains health and safety standards for campers and self. Ensures that a well-equipped first aid kit is maintained and that all necessary paperwork for first aid is completed. Maintains contact with the Healthcare Supervisor regarding the health status of campers. Reports accidents and files incident reports promptly.
- Participates in all regular camp activities such as meals, flag ceremonies, all-camp activities, cookouts, opening and closing days and kapers.
- Keeps records and prepares written reports as requested.
- Responsible for keeping the Camp Director informed of need for repairs of equipment and facilities.
- Participates in regularly scheduled meetings and trainings in order to ensure open and positive communication.
- Participates in opening and closing procedures of the camp season.
- Must be knowledgeable of emergency protocol with the ability to make immediate life saving decisions.
- Maintain professional relationship with campers and staff throughout the camp season.
- Keeps the Program Director informed on activities, problems and concerns on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of staff and campers (background/abilities) to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
High School graduate or equivalent.
Must be at least 18 years or older.
Current Certified Basic Archery or have willingness to obtain certification.
First Aid certificate or have the willingness to obtain First Aid, epi-pen, and inhaler administration training.
The ideal candidate will possess experience which relates to job responsibilities, including successful experience in assisting with developing and delivering sports programs in a prior sports setting, camping, group leadership, and organizational skills.
The candidate must have experience working with children.
The candidate must have the ability to work with staff and campers to develop, organize and implement Girl Scout program in the out-of-doors.
The candidate must show willingness to abide by the policies and practices of Girl Scouts of Connecticut.