Arts and Crafts Specialist (Seasonal)
Position is responsible to further the mission of camp through assisting in the development and delivery of arts and crafts skills that are safe, fun, and appropriate to campers’ ages and abilities, ensuring the safety and well-being of campers following State of Connecticut Office of Early Childhood, American Camping Association (ACA), Girl Scout Safety Activity Check Points(SAC), and GSOFCT policies. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit/small group.
- Works cooperatively with the camp administration to coordinate theme-related Arts and Crafts programs to enrich all-camp activities and to facilitate general camp operations.
- Provides orientation at pre-camp training to camp staff with regard to the program goals and availability.
- Participates in mandated pre-camp training and attends all scheduled advisory meetings.
- She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit/small group.
- Attends weekly advisory meetings to plan and prepare for campers that require accommodations to enable a positive Girl Scout camp experience.
- Follows Camp Staff Personnel Policies.
- Requests and/or purchases supplies for the Arts & Crafts Program.
- Encourages girl-planning in the carrying out of programs, with an emphasis on age-appropriate and skill-appropriate arts and crafts activities.
- Coordinates with the Program Director and unit/small group staff for the arts and crafts schedule of activities.
- Maintains health and safety standards for campers and self. Reports accidents and files incident reports promptly.
- Submits financial paperwork in a timely manner to the Camp Director for reimbursements.
- Maintains ongoing communication with the Program Director on camper activities, problems and concerns.
- Participates in all regular camp activities such as meals, flag ceremonies, all-camp activities, cookouts, opening and closing days and kapers.
- Requests and cares for necessary equipment and supplies, requests necessary repairs and maintenance.
- Participates in opening and closing procedures of the craft house/area during the camp season.
- Maintains knowledge of emergency action plans and the ability to make immediate life saving decisions.
- Maintains professional relationships with campers and staff throughout the camp season.
- Submit end of the summer supply inventory report to the Business Manager.
- Attends one of the three overnights
- Creates curriculum with the guidance of the program director
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- At least 18 years or older.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of staff and campers (background/abilities) to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
- Ability to work in extreme environmental conditions, walk on uneven terrain.
- The ideal candidate will possess successful experience in assisting with developing and delivering of arts and crafts programs in a prior setting, camping, group leadership, and organizational skills. The candidate must have management experience with children and the ability to work with staff and campers to develop, organize and implement Girl Scout program in the out-of-doors in extreme weather conditions. The candidate must show willingness to abide by the policies and practices of the Girl Scouts of Connecticut, Inc.
- High School graduate or its equivalent.
- Adult Child First Aid/CPR/AED certificate or willing and able to obtain. Willing and able to obtain Medication Administration training is recommended.