Environmental Education Specialist (Seasonal)
This position is responsible to further the mission of camp through assisting in the development and delivery of camp craft and outdoor living skills that are safe, fun, and appropriate to campers’ ages and abilities, while ensuring the safety and wellbeing of campers and following State Regulations, ACA Standards, Girl Scout Safety Activity Checkpoints, and GSOFCT Policies. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit.
- Works cooperatively with the camp administration to coordinate and enrich all-camp craft and outdoor living skills to facilitate general camp operations.
- Provides orientation at pre-camp training to camp staff with regard to the program goals and availability.
- Encourages girl-planning in the carrying out of programs, with an emphasis on age-appropriate and skill-appropriate camp craft, outdoor living skills and science and nature activities.
- She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit.
- Participates in mandated pre-camp training and attends all scheduled advisory meetings.
- Participates in regularly scheduled meetings and trainings in order to ensure open and positive communication.
- Participates in all regular camp activities such as meals, flag ceremonies, all-camp activities, cookouts, opening and closing days and kapers.
- Follows Camp Staff Personnel Policies.
- Coordinates with the Program Director and unit staff for the schedule of activities.
- Maintains health and safety standards for campers and self. Ensures that a well-equipped first aid kit is maintained and available in the camp craft areas and that all necessary paperwork for first aid is completed. Reports accidents and files incident reports promptly.
- Keeps records and prepares report cards.
- Requests and cares for necessary equipment and supplies.
- Informs Camp Director of needed repairs of equipment and facility.
- Works with staff and campers to develop, organize and implement Girl Scout program in the out-of-doors.
- Participates in opening and closing procedures of the camp season.
- Maintains knowledge of emergency protocol with the ability to make immediate lifesaving decisions.
- Keeps the Program Director informed on activities, problems and concerns on an ongoing basis.
- Maintains professional relationships with campers and staff throughout the camp season.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
At least 18 years or older.
Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of staff/campers (background/abilities) to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and walk in rugged terrain, climb, stand, bend, stoop, stretch.
The ideal candidate will possess experience which relates to job responsibilities, including successful experience in assisting with developing and delivering camp craft and outdoor living skills in a prior setting. Camping, group leadership, and organizational skills required. The candidate must have experience working with children. The candidate must show willingness to abide by the policies and practices of the Girl Scouts of Connecticut, Inc.
High School graduate or equivalent.
First Aid Certificate or willing and able to obtain First Aid, CPR, epi-pen, and inhaler administration training and certifications.