Retail Sales Clerk
The Retail Sales Clerk performs a variety of shop activities, including operating the shop in an organized, efficient, and accurate manner; providing exemplary customer service; processing transactions; tracking inventory; and maintaining an attractive and inviting shopping environment.
- Open and close shop.
- Welcome customers, provide merchandise information and selection assistance.
- Maintain a pleasant demeanor at all times to make the customer’s visit a satisfying experience.
- Embrace and enhance a culture that values diversity that reflect the council’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Promote and market Council Shop to continue to increase annual gross sales.
- Create and maintain appealing displays, promotional signs and flyers.
- Process customer on-site, email, and mail-order sales and returns. Process cash, check and credit card payments, and refunds in accordance with council policies and procedures.
- Generate all daily, monthly and annual reports.
- Maintain inventory control, ensure appropriate inventory levels; work with supervisor on placing orders and new item recommendations.
- Receive, inspect, count, and accept inventory deliveries.
- Handle problems such as shipment shortages, backorders, and unauthorized substitutions, advise supervisor.
- Ensure a neat, appealing and professional appearance of the shop at all times.
- Assist with preparing, coordinating, counting, and processing annual and special inventories.
- Ensure inventory is properly bar-coded and entered into the RMS system accurately.
- Ensure that merchandise orders, receipts, returns, credits, and payment paperwork are completed in a timely fashion. Report all delays.
- Process returns to vendors immediately.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to rotate coverage of retail operations including evenings and Saturdays.
- Deliver packages to the appropriate area for mailing
- Train and work with temporary and backup support staff and volunteers.
- Continue to increase computer skill level as required by systems, equipment, and software upgrades.
- Participate as an active member of the business services team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Other duties as revised due to CEI phase implementation.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Ability to pleasantly and effectively communicate and maintain good working relationships with a wide variety of volunteers, visitors, staff, vendors, and business professionals.
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision, to follow written and oral guidance, and to seek assistance when necessary.
- Demonstrated computer, database, and word processing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- AA degree in Marketing and/or five years previous related experience preferred.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Ability to operate computerized point-of-sale retail system including fingering and repetitive motion,
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in retail operations.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to operate multi line phone system.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to pass a CBI/FBI criminal background check.
- State wide travel required.
- Valid Connecticut driver’s license
- Must show proof of liability coverage of personal vehicle.
- Become a registered and maintain membership of GSUSA
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff, volunteers and girls.
- Active participation in Product Sales initiatives.
- Ability to work flexible schedule (evenings/weekends) to meet the needs of the organization
Material and Equipment Directly Used.
- Point of Sale register systems.
- Ten key and computer.
- Pricing gun , box cutters, and other packing equipment
- General office machines.
- Computer and related software.
- Use of telephone frequently during the day.
- Extensive use of email systems
- Extensive use of computer.
· Transporting materials weighing up to 50 lbs. from storage areas to retail shop required.
· This position requires the ability to stand for long periods, the ability to use ladders and stools to reach merchandise, the ability to stoop and bend repetitively, and the ability to walk long distances as required at events held at other locations.