Small Craft Specialist (Seasonal)
Position is responsible for the safety, and delivery of all small craft programs at Camp. He/she is responsible for teaching small craft lessons, ensuring and supporting other waterfront staff teaching small craft lessons, as appropriate. Position works with other staff to coordinate and deliver unit program and participation in all camp activities. She/he is responsible for the supervision of small craft programs, lifeguarding, and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating the delivery of programs within a unit. Must be willing to assist with waterfront activities, the general camp program and a unit as assigned ensuring the safety and wellbeing of campers following State of CT Office of Early Childhood (OEC), ACA Standards, Girl Scout Safety Activity Checkpoints and GSOFCT Policies.
• Participates in the daily implementation of the waterfront program. Works cooperatively to enrich all-camp and aquatic programs including swimming, boating, and rainy-day activities and to facilitate general camp operations.
• Assists the area Director to develop, follow and enforce all waterfront safety measures and emergency procedures to ensure all health, safety and program standards are followed at all times in compliance with ACA, Council policy, Girl Scout Safety Activity Check Point Standards, state laws and regulations.
• She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit.
• Participates in all staff training; including in-service and pre-camp skills trainings.
• Follows Camp Staff Personnel Policies.
• Assists in assessment of small craft skills of all staff and campers for classification, ensuring that every participant has been through a safety skills assessment.
• Maintains health and safety standards for campers, staff, and self. Reports accidents and file incident reports promptly.
• Assumes responsibility for Small Craft records and daily small craft inspections.
• Responsible for the care and use of the small craft and related equipment.
• Ensures repairs are promptly reported and/or accomplished.
• Maintains knowledge of emergency protocol and the ability to make life saving decisions.
• Participates in all emergency drills including but not limited to aquatics emergencies.
• Participates in unit and all camp activities as assigned.
• Participates in opening and closing procedures of the camp season pre and post camp inventory.
• Maintains professional camper/staff relationships throughout the camp season.
• Keeps records, reports, and maintenance requisitions as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• 18 years of age.
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of staff and campers (background/abilities) to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., work in extreme environmental conditions, walk in uneven terrain.
• Ability to demonstrate small craft safety, lifeguarding and swimming skill competencies.
• The ideal candidate will possess experience which relates to job responsibilities including successful experience in camping, swimming, group leadership, and organizational skills. Must possess experience working with children. The candidate must show willingness to abide by the policies and practices of the Girl Scouts of Connecticut.
• Supervisory/management experience preferred.
• High School graduate or its equivalent.
• Waterfront Lifeguard, AED/CPR for the Professional Rescuer. Willing and able to obtain First Aid, CPR, epi-pen, inhaler administration training and certifications ARC Small Craft certification or able to obtain prior to the start of employment