The Jr. Accountant will perform a variety of accounting duties. The focus of this role is Accounts Payable. She / He will pay vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, scheduling and preparing payments, and resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies.
Finance Duties / Responsibilities:
- Process and verify invoices, expense reports and check requests for proper account codes, department codes, discounts, payment terms and the appropriate signature approval
- Create and maintain Financial Edge records and electronic filing system in an efficient and effective way to ensure accuracy, and ease of information/invoice retrieval.
- Build and sustain professional client-driven relationships both internally and externally for responding to questions effectively, resolving billing problems; acts as the Finance Department liaison between departments and vendors
- Perform Monthly Sales Tax Returns
- Serve as back up for Accounts Receivables Functions
- Assist in Insurance needs of the volunteers through additional insurance & safety requirements.
- Gathers and compiles data related to risk from internal and external resources.
- Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports, recording entries.
- Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
- Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions
- Prepares and develops reports and other materials for Audit.
- Generate and maintain data and reports using spreadsheet software; may create, format, and revise charts, graphs, flowcharts, worksheets, booklets, and forms using word processing, desktop publishing, and other computer applications.
- Embrace and enhance a culture that reflects the council’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to anticipate work needs and interact professionally with internal and external customers.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong data entry skills
- Excellent mathematical and problem-solving skills.
· Knowledge of accounting principles and Accounts Payable processes.
· Ability to work independently and take initiative.
· Good time-management skills and conflict resolution techniques
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred.
- At least two years of related experience required.
Additional Job Requirements and Physical Demands:
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Active participation in Product Sales Initiatives
- Become a registered member and maintain membership of GSUSA