Day Camp Counselor Paid Internship (Seasonal)
Responsible for working with the Co-Counselor to coordinate unit/small group program and participation in all camp activities. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of a designated number of campers, facilitating the delivery of programs within a unit, small group or for a patrol, and ensuring the safety and well-being of the campers by facilitating girl program following state, ACA and Safety Activity Check Point Standards with an emphasis on age-appropriate and session specific programs.
- Works with the Co-Counselor and camp to coordinate unit program with overall program emphasis where applicable and camp activities; works cooperatively to enrich all-camp and Unit/small group programs and to facilitate general camp operations following state, ACA and Safety Activity Check Point program standards.
- Assists the Co-Counselor to facilitate unit activities and encourages girl-planning in patrol and unit/small group program delivery.
- She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of a designated number of campers, facilitating the delivery of programs within a unit or a patrol.
- Participates in the coordination of unit/small group schedule of activities.
- Works cooperatively with the Co-Counselor for unit responsibilities/ assignments.
- Maintains health and safety standards for campers, unit/small group staff and self. Reports accidents and files incident reports promptly.
- Participates in all regular camp activities such as meals, flag ceremonies, all-camp activities, cookouts, opening and closing days and kapers.
- Keeps records and prepares written reports as requested.
- Reports needed repairs of equipment and facilities to the unit leader or designated administrative staff.
- Participates in regularly scheduled meetings and trainings to ensure open and positive communication.
- Maintains professional camper/staff relationships throughout the camp season.
- Participates in opening and closing procedures of the camp season.
- Keeps the Director informed of activities, problems and concerns with campers on an ongoing basis.
- Attend one of the three overnights
- Other duties as assigned (ex: Bus Monitor, Before/After Care)
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Age 18 years or older.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of staff and campers to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., work in extreme environmental conditions and walk on uneven terrain.
- Strong oral communication skills required.
- The ideal candidate will possess experience in working with children that includes the ability to develop, organize and implement Girl Scout program in the out-of-doors. Proven success in a girl leadership program is desirable. The candidate must have a desire to work with children for extended periods of time in all types of weather.
Current First Aid Certificate or willing and able to obtain First Aid, CPR, epi-pen and inhaler administration training and certifications.