Outdoor Living Skills Specialist (Seasonal)
This position is responsible to further the mission of camp through assisting in the development and delivery of camp craft and outdoor living skills that are safe, fun, and appropriate to campers’ ages and abilities ensuring the safety and wellbeing of campers following State of Connecticut Office of Early Childhood (OEC), American Camping Association (ACA), Girl Scout Safety Activity Check Points(SAC), and GSOFCT policies. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit.
• Works cooperatively with the camp administration to coordinate and enrich program activities though camp craft and outdoor living skills.
• Camp craft and Outdoor Living Skill activities may include, but are not limited to compass/map use, campfire building, outdoor cooking, and primitive camping.
• Provides orientation at pre-camp training to camp staff with regard to the program goals and availability.
• Encourages girl-planning in the goals and delivery of programs, with an emphasis on age-appropriate and skill-appropriate camp craft and outdoor living skills.
• Participates in required pre-camp training and attends all scheduled advisory meetings.
• Participates in regularly scheduled meetings and trainings.
• Participates in all regular camp activities such as meals, flag ceremonies, all-camp activities, cookouts, opening and closing days and kapers.
• Follows Camp Staff Personnel Policies.
• Coordinates with the Program Director and unit staff for the camp craft schedule of activities.
• Maintains health and safety standards for campers and self. Ensures that a well-equipped first aid kit is maintained and available in the camp craft areas and that all necessary paperwork for first aid is completed.
• Reports accidents and files incident reports promptly.
• Keeps records and prepares Camp Craft report cards.
• Requests and cares for necessary equipment and supplies in a timely manner.
• Informs Camp Director of needed repairs of equipment and facility.
• Works with staff and campers to develop, organize and implement Girl Scout program in the out-of-doors.
• She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit.
• Participates in opening and closing procedures of the camp season.
• Maintains knowledge of emergency protocol with the ability to make immediate life saving decisions.
• Keeps the Program Director informed of activities, problems and concerns on an ongoing basis.
• Maintains professional relationships with campers and staff throughout the camp season.
• Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Must be at least 18 years or older.
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of staff/campers (background/abilities) to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and work in extreme environmental conditions and walk on uneven terrain.
• The ideal candidate will possess experience which relates to job responsibilities, including successful experience in assisting with developing and delivering camp craft and outdoor living skills in a prior setting. Camping, group leadership, and organizational skills required. The candidate must have experience working with children. The candidate must show willingness to abide by the policies and practices of the Girl Scouts of Connecticut, Inc.
• High School graduate or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Adult Child First Aid/CPR/AED certificate or willing and able to obtain. Willing and able to obtain Medication Administration training is recommended.