Responsible for the safety and delivery of all aquatics programs at camp. She/he is responsible for lifeguarding duties during recreational swims and delivery of swimming lessons. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within a unit/small group. Required to assist with the delivery of the general camp program.
- Participates in the daily implementation of the aquatics program. Works cooperatively with Aquatics Director to enrich all-camp and aquatic programs including swimming, and rainy-day activities to facilitate general camp operations.
- Assists Aquatics Director to develop, follow and enforce all waterfront safety measures and emergency action plans to ensure all health, safety and program standards are followed at all times in compliance with State of Connecticut Office of Early Childhood, American Camping Association (ACA), Girl Scout Safety Activity Check Points(SAC), and GSOFCT policies.
- Participates in all staff training sessions; including in-service and pre-camp skills training.
- Follows Camp Staff Personnel Policies.
- Assists the Aquatics Director in assessing swimming skills of all campers for classification, ensuring that each participant has been assessed and classified for the safe and appropriate swimming areas.
- Maintains health and safety standards for campers, staff, and self. Report accidents and files incident reports promptly with the Aquatics Director and/or their designee.
- Responsible for the care and use of camp aquatics equipment as assigned. Immediately reporting to the Camp Director any pool or safety equipment that is not good working order.
- Participates in all emergency drills including, but not limited to, aquatics emergencies.
- Participates in all-camp activities as assigned. She/he is responsible for the supervision and care of campers during designated/specific activities and facilitating delivery of programs within pool area.
- Participates in opening and closing procedures of the camp season.
- Participates in all regular camp activities, such as meals, flag ceremonies, cookouts, opening and closing days and kapers when not on duty at the pool.
- Maintains professional camper/staff relationships at all times.
- Monitors water quality as appropriate to the facility. Keep records, reports, and maintenance requisitions as assigned. Reports to the Camp Director or designee any water quality results that are out of specified safety range(s).
- Must attend one of the three overnights, but must stay late the two nights they are not sleeping over.
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to demonstrate his/her competency in both lifeguarding and swimming skills.
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of staff and campers (background/abilities) to encourage full participation in Girl Scouting.
- The ideal candidate will possess experience which relates to job responsibilities including successful experience in camping, swimming, group leadership, and organizational skills and experience working with children.
High School graduate or equivalent preferred.
Current Lifeguard, First Aid/AED/CPR for the Professional Rescuer certifications are required.
Water Safety Instructor preferred.
Willing and able to obtain Medication Administration training is recommended.
Lifeguard Waterfront Module required for guarding at lake, pond, or other natural swimming areas.